I’m so glad someone clicked on that the Forest Lass and Lord’s Lady is still wearing the Baratheon yellow.
Its about their different mind sets, stanza one is everything Gendry believes he will have to be to be hers. Its like Sansa’s stories, he needs to be a lord and protect the lady. The second stanza is Arya telling him he only needs to be himself. Its about how they can be together, not if they want to be.
It bugs me how people think Edric Storm is more likely to get the Stormlands/Throne because he is noble on two sides of his family and was educated. Here I state the reasons why Gendy, Son of an unnamed Tavern Wench is due a seat.
1. Gendry is about to be outed by Brienne of Tarth as King Bob’s baby boy at any minute. Provided she isn’t hung before then.
2. He’s palling around with Throros of Myr, Bob’s drinking buddy in an outlaw movement who claim to be the King’s Men. Sounds like a ready kingsguard to me
3. With Sansa married to Tyrion and undercover, Arya is the only marriageable Stark girl. Gendry is the only guy in Westeros with a hope in hell of getting her to even consider it. Marrying Arya would cement the shaky alliance of the North and the Baratheons. It would also allow Arya to be the warrior Queen as she named Nymeria.
4. Gendry was knighted by Beric Dondarrion, bannerman to House Baratheon. Edric Dayne, the nephew of Dondarrion’s betrothed was there to witness it. Gendry saved the life of Brienne of Tarth, Tarth being another Stormlands house who only sided with the Lannisters to get at Stannis after Renly. What if House Tarth found a new Baratheon?
5. House Baratheon is on the edge. Shireen could die at any time. Stannis is drained by making shadow babies and is struggling to get to Winterfell in a blizzard. The Others haven’t even shown up yet. Stannis may be forced to start legitimising.
6. Stannis knows Gendry is Bob’s boy. He was with Jon Arryn when he went to Tobho Mott’s forge. Stannis was passed over for Storm’s End because Robert liked Renly better. Renly was younger. Stannis named Davos Seaworth his hand despite the fact he was low born and illiterate. Stannis would legitimise Gendry.
Now, why not Edric Storm. Well…
1. He’s known to the Storm Lords because he was raised at Storm’s End. Storm’s End is going to be Aegon’s landing place. He may not hold it but he’s going to stamp on it a bit at least. What use with the Storm Lords be then?
2. He is the son of Robert and another noble of House Florent. House Florent isn’t a great house, they are second to the Tyrell’s in the Reach. The Reach will not declare for Edric Storm unless…
3. He could marry Margaery. Poor Tommen will die. It is known. Another ‘Baratheon’ to add to her collection. He’ll never survive it.
4. He’s been spirited away to Lys. He’s not in Westeros if the call ever comes. Where loyal could he land on his way back? The Vale? That’s about to kick off with Sansa there and the Royce’s wanting any opportunity to run to the Stark’s aid.
5. Edric is high profile. He has an Estermont and Florent guard. He was recognised by Robert. When Tommen and Myrcella croak, he could be killed just to show the reader the threat as the power grab begins. Remember how easy it was for Tywin to find The Brotherhood without Banners?
Edric doesn’t bring much to the table if he doesn’t get the Tyrell alliance and if Shireen dies it would be stupid of Stannis to risk the house by legitimising just one kid. He’s giving the enemy only one target and House Baratheon only one hope. Stannis knows three of Robert’s kids. He needs a male heir and a male spare. He could legitimise Mya Stone for safety too. Edric would come second unless he could muster some fight.
Whether the Iron Throne, the Lordship of the Stormlands or (my preference) The Storm King slot becomes vacant I don’t know. But don’t discount Gendry. He’s well placed.
I’ve never understood Gendrya. Personally, I ship Gendry x Sansa and Arya x Elmar Frey.
Gendry and Sansa have never met and he looks down on ‘Lords and Ladies’
Arya once said to Elmar Frey that she hoped his Princess died, unbeknownst to her it was herself!
I get AryaxNed Dayne but I really don’t get SansaxAnyNiceGuyAryaHasSpoketoAndLiked.
Also, I don’t get ‘Sansa needs a direwolf so she should have Nymeria’ either but that’s different.
How can that not be a LoVe song?
Buffy also met the one person she was meant to be with - but the universe didn’t allow them a happy ending. - Steven DeKnight